Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day 2, fog and fewer birds

Coch and I had decided to setup on a pond not used on opening to take advantage of its position with regard to the impending northerly. That impending northerly can go and naff itself, it just didn't happen. We found ourselves in the dark moving the decoy spread so that we could take advantage of our layouts. I for one am an avid decoy setter, and so it appears is Coch! As we finished setting up our blinds birds began to appear, a greeting call or 2 had three birds down. And so began an interesting hunt; fog made he ducks hard to locate, so I used my fall back tactic in fog. I know the birds are there, so I simply incessantly chuckle and duck cluck, giving ducks the chance to find us. Unfortunately Coch had issues with his gun not cycling, so even though we were taking turn about I had chances on his birds when the gun wouldn't go off.


 
 
We pulled the pin at midday, when no more birds were up as the sun had finally beaten through, turning the day into a real bluebird number. I was most of the way to a limit so was pretty relaxed.

Coch with our ducks, what a stunner of a day for fishing!

 
Back at base, we readied ourselves for cleaning the bag.

Andy with duck pile
The clean up took until 4pm, at which time Rick & Coch pulled out for work the next day. I hunted with Andy in the evening and took a single duck that his dog flushed, to close out my limit.

Cracker day all round, but at the back of my mind I was worried for the boys I'd invited in to share Monday's shoot. When they arrived at the ramp at 9.30pm I was there to bring them back to the hut... I think they were a bit shocked at my state, I was barely able to stay awake....

Photo courtesy Daryl Snowdon

No comments:

Post a Comment