Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I think there's a clue here...



I don't know the angler's name, but he was fishing on the Smart Wave boat that visited the naval docks on Sunday morning. This particular fish was caught elsewhere, maybe same day or maybe not - and its a pretty damn good fish in anyone's language. The clue isn't the location (which I know because Charles the boat skipper posted it on a forum) - it's the size of the fly. It looks a very good imitation of a smallish kahawai and a tempting morsel for a bigger than rat kingfish. I don't carry anything like that in my non-ocean going fly box, but I'm going to start to...... Thanks Charles, never too late to try something different.

1 comment:

  1. When I get some synthetics in, I'll defo have a go at tying something big. I'm in awe at the US and Euro guys who tie musky/pike flies - huge long things. I often wonder why typical SW flies are relatively small and simple compared to articulated trout streamers and musky feather dusters. Durability? Efficiency in tying, since you lose a lot more flies in the salt? I dunno...

    ReplyDelete