Tuesday, May 28, 2013

7 degrees & 33 Knots...

Weather like that is just too good to ignore. I mean, its bad enough to be good. I'd put the boat blind on over the weekend, in the hope that we'd get a decent blow before our one month duck season passed by. It sort of went a bit like this: Saturday late afternoon, get back from Tui Ridge. 2 shots, 2 pheasants - quite happy with that. I got a wee bit of video footage too, so will stitch something together at some stage. Anyhow, Sunday came and I got some help from the Domestic Goddess to put the blind on the boat. Then strung the decoy lines. Checked the forecast. Tuesday would be THE DAY, evil cold SW winds, rain, cold... all in all quite good duck weather.


Got hold of dad. he was watching the weather and thinking "SWAMP" but changed his plans based on me re-arranging my work schedule. Which I managed to do, rather easily... The weather was awesome overnight, I was woken at 02.30 by the wind and rain. Up at 04.30, on the road by 5 but the old man beat me to the ramp. We got the boat sorted and launched and did the usual bump-bump-bump across the river bar (at low speed). I don't think the Piako mouth has a defined channel - well probably does but hard to find in the wee small hours.

We got the first decoy set out ok in the rain and wind - I can't remember what we were pi$$ing around having to do but in the gloom ducks were charging by before we were ready. Eventually we were sorted.

 
 

The first ducks we shot at were a brace of greys that swung over, after 4 mallards had settled on the water 40m beyond our decoy set. We upped and fired, dad smashing his bird and me missing mine. Soon after a bunch of mallards screamed in over the mangroves from off the land with wings set. They pulled out, zoomed downwind then turned and came in. My bird staggered in mid air then clawed for height as I chased it with 3.5"of Kent Faststeel - dad dropped his drake. 2 nil. We had a few chances at various flocks, pairs and singles but the birds had the advantage of a stiff wind and made good use of it. Finally I put shots on a brace of mallards that swung by, 2 - all.



Next visitors were 4 spoonies that looked stunning in their multi colours. I couldn't get shots on them.

Time ticked by and the weather came and went. It never really built up to a sustained level of crappiness, none the less it was a great duck day.

We got off the water at 11 with our smallish but hard earned bag. Bloody enjoyable hunt and even better, more lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment