Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Giving Santa the right directions


I had been looking around for quite a while for a decent (or preferably superior) fly box to replace my Cliffs Bugger Beast boxes. The Cliffs are bulky, the foam inside is cheap and over a few years has begun to distort and pull away from the plastic, despite ongoing repairs. When Montana Fly Company announced the release of their MFC Boat Box, I put in an order through a US fly shop; but despite the fact they had been advertising, stocks were months away and the order was cancelled. Glad in a way, because when I saw the C&F XXL Box on the Gourmet Sportsman’s blog, I knew there was a contender. After a bit of research it became obvious that it would be no cheaper to source the C&F box overseas; so I left the link to where to buy the box locally in our browser and SWMBO found it and took the hint.

So, Xmas morning I found a nice prezzie under the tree. First impressions – a really solid box, slim, tall enough for 2 rows of long streamers (kingfish flies) from 2/0 – 6/0 size, really good foam, and well-constructed.




Side by side with the Cliffs and it’s a no contest; the C&F eats it for lunch in overall size, construction and ability to gobble up flies.







And earlier this week I walked into Rod & Reel in Newmarket and compared the Cliffs, Montana Fly Company and C&F boxes side by side. The MFC box has an option to add a leaf, but looks more crafted towards smaller flies and in overall volume is considerably less space efficient than the C&F. So overall, I reckon Santa made the right (well researched) decision – it’s all about providing the right directions. (And having $150 to spend…).

No comments:

Post a Comment