Saturday, January 26, 2013

Figuring the Big Muddy

Manukau Harbour is a great unknown for me. I've not fished there often and my most memorable catch was a big trevally that hit a jig - and that happened at least 20 years ago. Last year Jase and I decided to give it as much of a nudge as we could. His spear fishing experience had him telling me that the top of the incoming tide either early in the morning or late in the evening would be the best time to get shots. We're after kingfish, and we want to get a goodie on the fly rod. Other guys have done it out there. Speaking to my mate Simon who has the harbour as a picturesque backdrop to his home, he kindly told me that our plan was pretty much on track, if somewhat early in the year. His perfect scenario matched what we were doing, except it would be February rather than January.

I passed Si on the road to Cornwallis, he waved out and I gave him the bird - friendly eh!

Cornwallis is quite a lovely spot, the wharf is a popular fishing destination.


We launched The Booger and headed out to the marker Si had given us the good oil on. The current was ripping and we had wind against tide (again!) for a reasonable choppy ride. Jase had his new Redington #11 teamed with the old Billy Pate Tarpon AR I was lending him and loaded with an SA Streamer Express, pretty much the nicest shooting head going, in my opinion. We set up for the first drift with some expectation - this was the marker that Si had highlighted as having the greatest potential. Jase worked it over completely... nothing home. Or at any of the other markers we worked over the next few hours. Still, it was great being out there, the harbour is quite stunning really.







We're going to get this whole thing right one day soon. Moon, tide, time of day, time of year... and then we'll smack a mean fish over.

No comments:

Post a Comment