Monday, December 10, 2012

Eye failure

I'm the only male in the family on my dad's side who doesn't wear glasses or contacts yet, and on my mum's side there's plenty of vision correction going on too; so I always knew the day would come where I'd be next off the block. The symptoms creep up slowly at first but sure enough for the past year or so I've been noticing them... squinting when tying on flies during good daylight hours and really struggling in the twilight or darkness; focal point moving further from my nose.. having to hold books out to read fine print... and in the past week I even cast without a fly tied on... god only knows what I knotted on instead of my Orange Witch. In the last couple of weeks my right eyelid has been twitching fiendishly (why lord not my left eye? I shoot right handed...) and I've been getting head achy from my (over sized!) monitor at work. I can still make out objects at a distance very clearly and read words on the billboards across from my office ok, so I know that Dick Does Deals! and that someone in the PWC Tower wishes Auckland a Merry Xmas.

On the weekend I was tying some not very small flies in the size 10 - 12 range and it all came to a head, I couldn't focus, struggled when snipping off hackle (yup, cut the tying thread twice) and even as I sit here near the end of a business day I feel tired in a way that I shouldn't. So off to Optom. on Wednesday I go.

It's all a bit of a bummer, if there's one part of me that I've looked after its been my eyes, only rarely am I in the outdoors without quality sun glasses, I don't stare at the sun, poke myself with toothpicks, read in poor light... so, along with bad knee and sciatic nerve stuff I now have aging eyes.

You know, there's only one thing for it - get out and do way more shit before I'm really screwed!

No comments:

Post a Comment