Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The low down on Sitka

Having had a series of discussions with Grant from Safari Supply Company, I decided to go with some of his recommendations on Sitka waterfowling gear.




Today my package arrived and I attacked it with enthusiasm akin to a frenzy. Wrapped up were the following items:

First impressions were that the Optidfade pattern was doing strange things to my eyes. Could have been excessive caffeine though. Checked the jacket seams, pockets and usual places where signs of poor workmanship (esp in Drake clothing) show first. Then spent ages reading all the tags about materials, lofts, patterns blah blah - the good old yanks love their descriptions (once had a hat made of "zap fleece").

This stuff is seriously well put together.

Underarm zip for dumping heat when active
Windstopper fabric on the Duck Oven

Rubberised zips

Optifade close up

Traverse Tee - quite warm base layer
The key to the overall system is a series of layers, which are available to suit the climate where you hunt. Obviously being NZ, you'll need a waterproof jackets, and because I mostly hunt in the North Island, I chose the Delta which is a well constructed shell type raincoat. Seam sealed, rubber zipped, large pockets with magnetised flips tops to hold them open - this is a seriously well thought out jacket.

Late in the season when things get a bit bleak, the days shorter and cooler, a warm layer is needed, which is where the Duck Oven comes in, its an insulated jacket that fits under the Delta. The Oven is constructed in such a way that the bit that tucks into your waders is made of a different type of material to the chest, shoulder and arm areas.

The Traverse Tee is a mid layer garment, which I can see becoming a firm favourite in the cooler months as a next to skin or base layer. Like I said, in the North Island it only really cools down late in the waterfowl season. I can also see this shirt being worn on a few pheasant hunts later on. I had to take it off soon after trying it on, she's a bit warm at the moment around here... summer's coming!

The traverse gloves are to replace some old fingerless Simms fishing gloves that have served quite well. Paul Stenning recommended these gloves initially and I can see why. They are unobtrusive, well put together with a rubber mesh hand grip area and relatively warm.

The Traverse Beanie was a bit of a surprise package ... mainly because I had ordered the Dakota Beanie and that's what I got! It features Windstopper membrane over a fleece inner and I really really cant wait to pull it on on a chill winter day. Seriously the best beanie I have ever put on my head.

Finally, and not as an after thought or anything, the Sitka cap. I have this thing about caps... because my face is sort of narrow and weasley some caps look a bit whack on my nut. This one though, feels about right. It's a light weight cap so will get plenty of use over summer chasing trout and kingis on the fly. Time will tell, but I think it could become a bit of a favourite.

Just need a rain storm to run around in now.... can't wait to field test all this gear. Watch this space over coming weeks.

1 comment: