Friday, November 23, 2012

Our new council

Results of the Fish & Game council elections are in, and we have a partially new council. (Truly regrettably, the 2 councillors who don't attend meetings were re-elected). However that's how democracy works. Probably the most telling stat is that only 21% of enrolled voters turned out.

To me I can take or leave the result of the election as far as my position is concerned (and I congratulate those who were elected, I was soundly defeated), but what will stay with me forever is how completely dysfunctional the organisation is; it's structure allows for cliques, poor practice, non disclosure and a complete lack of trust between regions. Even worse, the almost complete lack of relationship between organisation and stakeholder... well I could go on, but that fact of the matter is that no one really cares, as evidenced by the following statistic.

- Of ALL licenses sold in Auckland Waikato, both fish and game bird and assuming that per license (rather than individual - a number of people buy both) a voting right was granted (in reality its not, you have to opt-in to vote..) then the next 3 years' worth of vision and direction has been decided by 7% of the license holding population. So only 7% of the stakeholders understand their organisation. Not something to be proud of at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment