Friday, October 19, 2012

Boat electrics

On top of the obligatory jobs to be carried out around the duck ponds (spraying, trapping), at Tui Ridge and at Craig's (pheasant chicks arriving 14th Nov, so a clean up and prep session required prior), I really need to do some work on The Booger, to get her up to speed from an on-water legal perspective. Basically I've been getting by on temporary navigation lights which aren't completely satisfactory, to me, and most likely to other users of the waterways. Auckland Harbour and approaches on a typical Saturday morning over summer is very busy to say the least, especially approaching the city lights where weak navigation lamps are easily lost in the background clutter.

So, the mission is to build a set of electrics encompassing:
  • Battery box - sealed
  • Switch box - sealed
  • Nav lights
  • Bait tank aerator
  • Interior lights
  • Fish finder
The battery box and aerator are both removable so I've been delving into realms previously unknown to me to find waterproof connectors, spiral glands etc... and I now have a pile of components at home, so the fun will begin soon.






Finally, the live bait tank will be based on a brewing barrel. I got this idea from someone else who swears by it for small boat fishing.



Beer brewing barrel

Best ideas are someone else's!

Progress reports will be put up as I go.




No comments:

Post a Comment