Saturday, September 22, 2012

On Killerweed....

Last week Matt told me that we'd be hunting in pretty much crap pasture covered in all sorts of rushes, weeds and other assorted crap. In my mind's eye I pictured brown top and rushes, so thought that rather than grassing the layout, I'd use the "Winter Wheat" Avery Killerweed that I had lying around.

Here are my impressions:
  • One box is supposed to cover a layout. Uh-uh, no way. 2 boxes will almost do the job - I was into the 3rd box before I was happy with coverage.
  • The texture is quite good and disguises the blind well enough
  • Its a damn sight lighter than grass to carry...
  • Even so, you can't ditch it at the end of the hunt so carrying it out again is unavoidable
  • The colours weren't quite right, a bit too much yellow, but that's my fault for assuming we'd be on brown top and the actual hunting took place in green grass with rushes
  • Next time I'll use god's own green grass.
  • There are never any shortcuts that work as well as the real thing.
Here are some shots





I might have a shot at dying it a bit greener - could be a winner after that. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment