Friday, August 24, 2012

BOP - The pheasant zone

The Bay Of Plenty has everything that appeals to retirees and pheasants. Warm climate, high sunshine hours, relaxed pace of life. Even better for a pheasant - abundant multi land use agricultural and forestry activities. To sum it up, there's food (lots of food), warmth, shelter and enough rain to keep it a nice green hothouse.

Everything grows super-big in BOP, including pheasants...
Milo sent a text last week to sort out a late season hunt, we roped in Andy (and Keira) and the mission was a go. Given the recent weather I threw just about every wet weather garment I owned into the truck, along with an impossible amount of ammunition (just in case) and the gun. Hit the road at 6 to avoid rush hour traffic and made my way down SH1, over the Bombay's and off on SH2 to Tauranga. As I crossed the Hauraki Plains the sun came up revealing a cloudless sky... but taking the weather for granted and not preparing for the worst case can lead to an uncomfortable day at best.

We gathered at Milo's place and caught up on life, before packing our gear into Andy's car and heading for the farm, where we caught up with the farm manageress who tried to get us to adopt a puppy before we set off. The first block of bush we worked saw 2 birds sail out away from us, 1 hen and 1 of unknown gender.


Fairly typical of the land we were on
 Keira worked her little butt off and wasn't really rewarded all that much for her efforts, especially when I saw her working and a rabbit departed in some scrubby stuff under the pines.. I told the boys it was a rabbit .. and sure enough a cock bird exploded at the top of the ridge and out of range. Doh.


Pine block... Milo likes it!

We arrived at a pine block where some years ago Milo and I (with Bobby the Fox Terrier and Milo's dog Moss) had the most amazing experience of pheasants dropping in and landing pretty much where we were standing. Bobby revealed his class (and the smarts of the breed) by charging into a patch of thick crap and hauling out  a wounded  pheasant hiding there - was quite something to see.


This time the birds broke almost as soon as we entered the block. Miles got a long shot in on a big bird that escaped. I found myself in head high shrubs so was a bit useless on the trigger pulling front. Andy was occupied with Keira. We worked the edge of the block and a bird jumped from my right... luckily my second shot cleaned him up, a nice young bird, hopefully he'll be a tasty treat for my folks.


We back tracked and then climbed a gut buster of a hill (which my memory had faded out at some stage.. normally I remember shitty hills) for the final part of the hunt. We worked some brushy edges and as we went I spied a rooster at the same time as he spied me, I told the lads to get ready, hoping that he'd take to a patch of cover and hold... but instead he broke and flew.

All too soon (really? Close on 6 hours for the hunt) we were back near the car and decided to push through the patch we'd hunted when we'd first arrived. Andy and I moved down through the patch while Milo circled back to trap any escapees - 2 shots rang out and I heard a cock cackling - another escapee I thought, but when we caught up with Milo he'd dropped a big old bird that ran, so the cackling was most likely a different bird taking off. We tried for quite a while to pick up Milo's bird, but poor Keira was almost out on her feet and just couldn't track the bird down  - but he'd had a good head start, so while disappointing it didn't take the gloss off a great day in the field.

Back to Milo's for a coffee, then back home via Paeroa to visit them, their pup and drop off the day's pheasant. Home by 8pm, quick clean up. (Oh, and the weather played ball as well, for a while dark clouds piled overhead but held off dumping on us).

I just love the BOP, so much to offer in the pheasant zone. Thanks lads.



No comments:

Post a Comment