Sunday, June 24, 2012

Real Grass & Killer Weed

The first season back on salt handed me a few lessons in getting the gear right. One of the big lessons is that the camo nets I've made up get really heavy when wet, and that's less than ideal because of the additional weight of having all that water aboard. When you've only got a 30hp donkey, carrying 20 kg extra of water makes a difference when the boat already has a full complement of gear and hunters aboard. So.... I've had another look around. Speaking with Greg Duley, he camo's his boat stem to stern with Avery Real Grass mats.


His is the brown old school stuff that looks like browned off raupo. Avery has released a few new "seasonal" colours so I grabbed some early season stuff out of the USA. On arrival it doesn't look like the promo picture...


But from what I've read elewhere that's not unusual and the promo shots are embellised with local vegetation.

So I'll try that on the blind in the near future. I also got some Killer Weed in Winter Wheat in. I figured i could use this stuff on the layout, and for any parts of the boat that need additional cover.

Now I reckon this stuff will be more useful than I'd previously thought - for a bunch of raffia it sure looks pretty realistic.

No children were harmed in taking these photos


Quite keen to see how this all pans out. Hopefully we'll have a lite weight camo cover with some depth to it.

1 comment: