Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blanked

Set out this morning at 4.45 with a mission in mind - to burley up a snapper and catch him on fly. On the way to Narrowneck I realised that I'd forgotten to put the fishfinder in the boat... the launch at Narrowneck was pleasant and easy on a fullish tide. I'm picking it will become my preferred launch & retrieve spot. Second problem.... my GPS had run out of battery. I should have bailed at that point because where I wanted to be needed pretty much pinpoint positioning. Rather I anchored next to a marker. I put out the burley and got the 6 weight set up with sink tip and a Clouser and the 11 with a Fat Boy. As the sky lightened I could see the water swirling where I needed to be but its fairly shallow so I didn't want to bang into the rocks. An hour there gave me a baby snapper, a peewhacker kahawai and 2 jack macks taken on a sabiki. I decided to go exploring so nipped through Motuihe Channel, stopping at Rakino Channel for a drift. To no avail. It was eerily calm out there, under a grey sky. No waders today. Moved around to Haystack Reef, nothing home. Back across to SargeantsChannel. Started raining, got wet bum. No joy with the fish. Over to the structure for a kingi cast. Nup, nothing. Then AJ & Cock turned up, so we had a chat, their fishing had yeilded 4 snaps for 3 anglers. After that I hightailed across to Rangi Channel to look at the markers. The channel was deserted. Nothing on any buoy except for 9 where 2 small kingis looked at the fly half heartedly. RR held exactly nothing. I got home by 12 feeling like it just wasn't quite right out there. Winds up now, maybe a bit of surface movement will encourage the fish? TT texted that fishing was 'poo'yesterday. Oh well, soon Rangi Channel will fire when the spawned fish discover the anchovies that pack in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment