Sunday, November 6, 2011

Wheely rough hub... this has some bearing on The Booger's failed WOF

Ok enough stupid puns. I should've installed Bearing Buddies back when I got the boat. She failed her trailer WOF because of rough left wheel bearings. What happens is that as you drive along the hubs heat up and air expands, so when you back it in to the water the air cools and contracts, and can suck water in through the dust cap over time. And yup, that's what happened. I removed and greased the bearings and went back for a sneak at getting through WOF... but nah, they wanted the bearings replaced. Stink, this was supposed to be my cheap weekend.



Warrant $24
Timken Bearing kit $27
Fuchs Axle Grease $16
Bearing Buddies $30

To be fair there was water in the dust cover and a bit of corrosion in there. I checked the right side wheel and it was fine, so I packed it with grease and put the Bearing Buddy on, no dramas.


The Inner Bearing was pretty stuffed


Seal on, and greased

 Oh well, all done and shouldn't happen too often in the future. Better borrow my neighbour's grease gun and pack the Bearing Buddies out...

1 comment: