Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Quick post

Took JBFC on her second ever fishing trip last Saturday. We launched not really early enough for a dawnie and ignoring the rangi channel headed straight over to the 15 m mark north of Rangi. Sounded a few good humps for future reference, but not much doing. Moon phase just plain awful, big and bold and hanging in the sky. Decided to head wide and look for birds and ended up NE of the Noises. We started to sound bait schools and snapper marks appeared on the bottom, but the bite was feeble. JBFC caught a spiney dogfish which are really good eating. I saw a big blob on the sounder mid water, dropped a soft plastic, and while setting JBFC's rod up my little 4kg outfit started screaming. there was a huge splash and kerfuffle behind us and I turned in time to see a fin disappear - not a fin but the tail of a thresher shark. 10 minutes of tail thrashing drag burning runs ensued. Another boat stopped for a look and offer of assistance ("we have a net") which I declined (I had a big F off gaff). Finally it was subdued and after a bit of a gawk boatside I cut it free. We drifted around and JBFC caught a nice snapper which we released. Then I got a couple of throw backs as well. Not a work up to be seen either, the gannets in view were simply milling around not doing all that much. We came back in in time for lunch, then I took the boat down to get its warrant. Have to say I'm impressed with JBFC's staying power, no sign of the dreaded "I'm bored lets go home" syndrome!

No comments:

Post a Comment