Sunday, January 17, 2010

Around the pins with the Andrews

TT, Andy H and I hit the harbour last night in pursuit of kingis on fly and some snappers for tea. We launched at Okahu Bay and headed straight to Rough Rock. Andy and i rigged fly rods and first cast had fish chasing. I lost one almost immediately as it took me around the chain on the buoy and the fish seemed to have gone down. Across to 9 Buoy and again rats were present, TT lost what looked like a hog to a combination of a tangle in the running line and the chain on the buoy - this one had the big throb throb throb of a decent sized tail beating as the fish rolled on its side to beat the pressure of the rod. Across to TT's spot and we put a few casts in, kingis were there but no bites. Then a couple of hours of snapper drifting for a very few fish, nice ones though. The Nuclear Chicken did it again for me. TT then called it as kingi time, so back out with the fly rods. We all had a bit of fun, Andy H popping his kingi cherry with a couple of fish, I got several to the boat but without a landing net TT streadily broke them off using up my supply of Mega Mushies. I think we hooked about 10, landed 7 and had a ball. Back to the vice I think, and next time I'll probably just use the 8 weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment