Sunday, September 20, 2009

Swamp hut maintenance

33 years ago or thereabouts, the second (current) swamp hut was built. The original was burned down by a cockie who was pissed with my granpop for getting his free range grazing restricted. It was illegal anyways, but back then you could do what you liked to a far greater extent than today. Want to put in a dam? Fine, no RMA constraints then. The old guys in the party (Grand dad Foster, Dave Dudding, Brian Dudding, Dad, and David Dudding) decided on a pole structure to provide security, shelter and maximise the space available for building on. I remember quite well (I was 7) the construction zone, the hole boring, transportation of materials, the erection of the building... it was a great time to be a 7 year old. 33 years on and with various modifications in the between years, it was like the old hut sort of sighed, had a shake and said 'look fellahs, I need some work'.

So this year, we've replaced the guttering and just yesterday we got together to replace the rotten jammed windows and the floor by dad's bed. Rick reckoned we should have installed a slide so dad could roll out, slide down into his waders and be away.


Rick, Tom, Tim, Paul, Quinn and me made up the work party. The day got off to a great start as I suffered my first unintended Piako dip.
. Combination of Tom's motor not idling, the boat not only being in gear with hammer full down, but wheel turned right over... well when I pull started her motor it zapped into life, nose went up, tail down - were were off! I had no chance and went arse over into the drink. Anyway, a good days work wnd we got done what we'd hoped to, maybe even more. Oh yeah, venison chilli sausages and leg steaks for lunch - thanks Rick!




Should be good for another 33 years I reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment