Monday, September 21, 2009

Politicking & Prados

First - politicking. What a difference having a network of good contacts makes. Our group's mandate includes mending broken relationships with the rural sector - and this means a big time smack bang schmooze up to lots of land owners, who control the means to access many of the resources that we hold so dear. Enlightenment. Inclusiveness. I'm not saying more, after all, the internet is an open forum, but watch this space. The power of networking will play out.





The Prado - impressions after a couple of weeks (the one in the piccie is someone elses):

1. Comfort. The seat is soft and not to my liking. The leg room is lacking, for such a big vehicle. So far, the Forester has it hands down.
2. Ride. Big tyres, big suspension, big knocks over speed bumps. Let's face it, the Forester with its road suspension eats the Prado.
3. Economy. I've been watching the fuel gauge like a hawk. So far I must admit its been quite good, especially as I've learned a smoother driving style. So far on track. Maybe even better than forester (doubt it)?
4. Cool features. No Cruise Control. (Go Forester!). Blue tooth phone thingy. Tick. MP3 player. Tick. Sun roof Tick! Tick! Tick!
5. Coolness. Look I don't care, anyone who wants to argue about coolness can stand in front while I test the bull bars!!!
6. Towing. No argument.

7. Interior space/room. Bizzarely, the Forester eats the Prado. With flush fold down seats, the subbie gave me a ton of room. I slept in the back a few times, something that's not looking likely with the Toyoyta.

Overall the Forester is/was a marvel of a car for its time. Pity that Subaru make their engine parts out of shit. I mean, after all these years of building battle ships (among other neat stuff), I would have thought that Fuji Heavy Industries would have their shit together in terms of bits that don't rust. Just goes to show. Toyota on the other hand, they make parts to last. Talk to any mechanic - or those guys down at the testing station, they would just smile when Marce's Corolla came in for its warrant. It failed once, a blown lamp and a small fray in a seat belt. That's what I'm talking about. Not that the forester ever failed in testing, its just that it began to cost an arm and a leg in repair bills - like over a grand a year in the past 2 years, not counting normal servicing.

Would I change back? Probably not. In fact, nah, definitely not. I think it will be a matter of getting used to the Prado. Everything is a bit more relaxed. More power and auto transmission means no frantic gear changing on hills and corners, which is where the 1980cc boxer (non turbo) Subaru motor fell down. Driving in peak traffic is a doddle. (Although I need to figure stopping distances. The subbie was particularly good in the braking arena).

Anyway, those are my impressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment