Sunday, August 23, 2009

Returning to the scene of the crime


Yesterday, Tim, me and Andrew visited the new patch for our second hunt of the season there. We worked the property from a different angle to last time, working the southern boundary first. Set a couple of cunning pincer movements in play and almost got payoff once or twice. A still quiet day made for hard stalking and we had birds getting out ahead or to the side all day. (A dog is becoming a must now). I saw 10 roosters, put shots on 3 and had bead on two others that may have been roosters - or hens (Andrew confirmed one as a rooster) - better to be safe than sorry I suppose. We got 2 hares, a rabbit, and at the very last patch of cover at the very end of the day I managed a rooster.



One of a pair that jumped - well the second jumped after I had fired both shots on the first bird. A beer with the land owner, a chat about how good we have it and then off home. Tim gave me some fallow venison, just to round out the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment