Sunday, June 28, 2009

What was it like?

Let me start by saying that the final drive was fantastic, and really what driven is about. I fired 16 shots for four birds, they were streaking downhill, being bumped upwards by the beaters with flags at the halfway mark and getting serious air under their wings. Because they were on the glide the approach speed was hugely deceptive. Hitting them 40m up called for no less than 5m lead and well, it took a bit of learning to get the whole thing right.

The day dawned foggy and claggy and rain was forecast. It was uncomfortably warm if anytrhing, esp after 2 weeks of sustained frosts and southerly wind drift. Rick and his mate were the first people I bumped into, then Kawhia & Mick, Guy & Rachael. Safety briefing and meeting the other guns:

Peter Hutson - Abano Healthcare/Bay Audiology CEO
Andrew Speed - Criminal Defence Barrister, Vulcan Chambers
Peter Simunovich & 2 sons - Fisheries Cartel
Dickie Sansome - Lord Rolawn
Hamish ? - From Gisborne, friend of Rachael
Mark Mc - owns indoor sports centres in Ak
Lord Snuffit - pretends to hob nob with rich & famous

The first drive was pretty easy. I fired 7 shots for 6 birds, one bird taking 2 shots to kill. Drive 2 was not so great, its the one that Tim and I had beat for twice in the past with limited results. We stood this time for 30 minutes before seeing a bird, the beaters line got messed up and the end result was few birds. I took 2 with 2. We then went down to the dam and this time the birds were driven from the opposite way which I had seen in the past. They were getting some good height on for sure and some spectatcular birds were taken as they came from the lake edge and either climbed over or through the tall gum trees. I had my first outright miss, took a double, and ended up killing 5 birds with 10 shots. Interlude while Landrover got stuck, dog trailer broke etc etc. Next drive I ended up not on a peg but sort of blocking. The drive was poor but I got 3 birds with 5 shots, missing the chance of a double rise on roosters - much to Rick's mirth. A quick meal and then to the final drive. It was a bit chaotic with not much control of the placing of guns, however Andrew and I found ourselves in the thick of it. Dickie got some fantastic shooting, Andrew was solid all day and I scratched down a few.

So I ended with 20 birds for 42 shots. I could have done worse, or better. I'd do it again in a flash - finances allowing. (I.e. next year!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment