Friday, June 5, 2009

Some weird shit going on in fish world


Yes, it is the full moon. And with it comes calm weather (yes yes I hear you saying) - which makes it an ideal time to drift the oceans catching big bad ooglies. Big bad ooglies normally include broadbill (true sword fish) Xiphias gladius and shit like gem fish and big sharks. But sometimes something truly bizarre turns up. Like a mate of a mate managed to catch something really "out there" last night - and I knew what it was straight away (because dear reader, I am a giant smart arse). What I mean is that I could see it was an Oil Fish, but what I didn't know was that it is a peruvian oil Fish, lives in 200m - 400m of water, shouldn't be hanging around in 100m just off NZ's East Coast and that it hangs out in big schools. Hence the reason that they caught 4 of the things.
Can't eat them though, they'll give you dodgy guts for weeks. Shame, those flanks hold big yummy looking white fillets.
Why are they here? Is global warming displacing them - oh fer fecks sake, I'm joking!
Bet they are just on holiday, getting away from daily hum drum, seeing the sights or sampling new food types. More likely the squid are moving in close off north Island - so don't go swimming at night if you value your skin!


No comments:

Post a Comment