Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dinner with the Big V

This one pans out interestingly - but let me preface this post by saying that I haven't had such a great game meat dinner since the game pie I ate in Vienna in '01. (Was accompanied by a large stein of pale ale, Mein Gott that was good). The big V wished to express his gratitude for having a great time on opening - and have some 'man time' - so dad, Rick & I rocked up to his tidy pad in Remmers. We met his wife and youngest daughter and then set to an amazing meal - goes a little something like this:

First course - Beef Tongue cold soup (a Russian traditional meal)
Second Course - Duck breast slow cooked served in goose and rabbit liver sauce
3rd course - Venison, rabbit and pheasant game pie, with a lovely crusty pastry
4th course - Gods curse me, I can't remember what its called but it was delicious - pheasant breast minced with rice, rolled in cabbage leaf, cooked slowly in a butter sauce. Rick ate 3 of these, pig! (Ok i did too!). I'm going to learn how to make this one!

Short break in which I inspected the Big V's son's Beretta 687 EELL - holy nice gun, looked unused... what a piece of wood on that thing. Rick & Big v come from behind to route the Foster's in a game of pool on a 100 year old pool table manufactured in Wellington, that in its lifetime had travelled with its owner to Russia...

Much hunting talk. Big V had spent a day on Harekiekie on Sunday in a syndicated shoot, 150 bird day. Interestingly he said that the birds were better than previous when the place had been under the management of a full time keeper. Now Nigel Simpson (Wing Sport Unlimited) runs the shoot. Rick had been down on the Te Aroha block again, there's a lot to be said about shooting near a reserve! Big V has a place in Pauanui and I mentioned the geese down there that I saw in January - well he knew all about them, he's hunted them and shot spoonies etc on the Tairua estuary. Seems that lakelands has had a gun drop out this weekend. Rick's got a pigeon shoot today. Shooting sport is alive and well in NZ!

5th Course -fancy tea and a piece of lemon tart

Then I had to leave. Past my bedtime, you see.

A lovely evening with the very best game food that I've eaten in years (if ever).

2 comments:

  1. "Shooting sport is alive and well in NZ!", well for those with time and cash on their side, or both ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that cash plays as big a role as time. :)

    ReplyDelete