Friday, May 29, 2009

Sub-gauge

I bet there would be a fair farkin uproar if F&G really does ban lead in sub-gauge guns. Definition of sub-gauge is a bore smaller than 12, so it includes 16, 28, 28 & .410 (which is a bore, no, not boring, you know what I mean...). I read ages ago that of all the shotgun gauges or bores, the 16g throws the most consistent pattern, almost irrespective of load and shot size. I can't tell you why. Maybe they are like the snowflake of the gun world, when it hits the pattern is perfectly symmetrical.

I don't really believe that a magnum lead load through a 20g is anywhere near the same load as a 3" load of quality steel. I think that a 20g is a perfectly adequate gun for pheasant, and quail, and partridges (maybe I'll shoot one of those this year). Those birds are all soft in the body with droopy feathers. But waterfowl are different, they have layers of feathers, the outer layers are hard and water repellent. They have stronger bone structure, it takes more energy to bust their bones. No, 20g magnum lead waterfowl loads give some people the excuse to carry on using lead over water. But I think that I want to have that excuse. But I want a big fat killing payload of lead at my disposal, I want an awesome, even, nasty powerful pattern of bone busting flesh shocking lead. I want a 16g.

The fact is that I have always wanted one, just like I want a Beretta SO5. My 16g would most likely be a gun of American extraction. It would be a double, it would be classy, sweet lines, schnabel fore grip... dream dream dream. Delivered to me by one of Yamaha's paddock girls.... http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/2008/The+Fiat+Yamaha+Paddock+Girls+cheering+up+for+Valentino+Rossi+and+the+Squadra+Azzurra

I would paint ducks from the sky with it. Pheasants too. I would be invincible, irresistable. Muwahahaaa.


1 comment: